SigmafineApp for the OSIsoft® PI System® - Thermodynamics
Making advanced engineering calculations easier, faster, more reliable, and more accurate
The Thermodynamics App enables the embedding of thermodynamic calculations in PI AF. Based on well-proven thermodynamic methods for the characterization of multicomponent mixtures, the Thermodynamics App enables the OSIsoft PI System to support the calculation of KPIs like work and power, duty, or efficiency, removing the need to post-process data in Excel or other engineering tools since everything resides in the structure of PI AF. Equations of state used by the OSIsoft PI System address specifically the needs of the oil & gas industry.
- Able to handle multi-component mixtures and evaluate vapor-liquid equilibrium and estimate thermodynamic properties through the use of equations of state (Peng-Robinson and Soave-Redlich-Kwong)
- Includes a database of physical property correlations for a large number of chemical species to complement the predictions of the equations of state, especially for the liquid phase
- Able to predict properties of petroleum assays based on the definition of an array of pseudo-components and their laboratory distillation curve
- The most common properties that can be evaluated are vaporization fraction, composition of each phase, enthalpy and entropy of mixture or of a specific phase, density, compressibility factor, specific heat, etc.
- Natively designed to work within PI AF
- Evaluates thermodynamics properties of hydrocarbon mixtures and crude oils as well as several chemical species
- Infer non-measurable information from direct process measurements
- Fully configurable within PI AF without the need of calling external programs
- Configure and manage complex equations and calculation chains
- Display and share KPI’s based on advanced engineering calculations
- Make the OSIsoft PI System suitable to support an energy management program
- Calculate un-measurable process data such as enthalpy, density, vaporized fraction, etc., bringing performance monitoring to the next level.
- Engineers and energy managers are presented with actionable KPIs based on well-proven thermodynamic methods.
- Process insight and faster reaction time.
In just one example, the Thermodynamics Extension improved the operation of a crude oil topping furnace by inferring non-measurable variables such as vaporized fraction of the crude oil, process heat duty, and heat losses.